Friday, April 22, 2005

greatness



a few months ago i posted a short essay by nelson mendela about how the only thing that's holding us back is our own fear of being great (i will post it at the end of this post again). when i read it at first, it was more of a "oh, that's a cool thought" kind of response. but today, the true meaning of that post, hit me in a very personal way.

i love to design and to take pictures. yeah, i think i have a little better eye for that stuff then an average person but i don't have much, if any, confidence. i think, that lack of confidence is what holds me back most of the time. there is always an "i don't want to look like an idiot" or there have been times when the stuff i worked on has been ripped apart. they say that for every negative thing that a person hears, there need to be about ten positive things to set that negativity back. i am not sure if that is even true because it seems like those negativities stick with us, no matter what.

today i had a email conversation with a fellow designer who said "i would love to design it but I don't know that I'm really at that level yet". and most of the time, i am in the same mindset. i think it's that mindset that holds us back. greatness is acheived by mistakes and failures. granted, there are given talents, but once you have that calling, act upon it and strive for the best. don't hide it in fear of criticism. it's the "i don't think i can" that sets us back.

my theory came true today when laura and i were messing around and taking pictures. there was no fear of failure, there was no fear of criticism, we were just doing what we(i) love. and it turned out great! of course you have to count the talent of the model in the picture :)


so put aside your fear of failure and start creating. whether it's writing, drawing, singing, or bellydancing. let those guards down and start giving the world what god has given you.


Our Deepest Fear

by Nelson Mandela


Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond meaasure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; It's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So True!! As you know, I am guilty! I struggle with this almost daily. In one of my design classes I find it so interesting how many of the guys are so confident about their work, (even though it's sometimes not even that great) but people react to it in such a positive way. It's like they are "fooled" (??) by their confidence. I wish I had more of that.

I had heard a part of Mandela's quote before but never knew it was him. It was really profound for me at the time. It's the line that says something like, "your playing small doesn't do the world any favors..." I am super guilty of that. I have gotten much better, but starting from a young child I have always felt the need to make others around me feel like they are the better person. I would consciously play dumb, etc. so they could feel smarter. I've gotten better, but still farther to go!

Are you regretting you opened this blog up to me??? Now, I'm blabbling on and on!! But don't worry, it won't be a habit!! : )

~ Jennifer