Friday, March 11, 2011

Bringing hope

A long time ago, my Canadian mommy sent me a link to David Wilkerson's blog. Ever since then I receive it in my email every weekday. I have so much respect for the man. He is one of those very few people, who by their sheer existence make you want to find God and grow closer to him. It is never about David Wilkerson, it is always about God and people who are hurting and need hope. I think that in his fall season, his ministry is to bring hope to the hurting people around him and point them to God. Even with that, he is not afraid to speak the truth, even if it is something that is not pleasant to hear. But he always, I can honestly say - always - brings hope in his messages. There is comfort and love in his words. So many times his little blog posts have given me the hope that I needed to get up and keep going in these last few months.

When we were in NYC this past winter, Felicia and I went to the Times Square Church where David Wilkerson is the founding pastor. This is the second time I've been there. It is so popular (the book that he wrote is known around the world) that people have to line up to get in there. Thankfully, Feli had a big belly in front of her and we got prime seats, which I honestly think were the last two seats in the whole auditorium (should I feel guilty for using the situation to our advantage in church? No! :))

I happened to sit next to one of the regular church-goers, she asked me if this was my first time at the church. We had a nice chat and I told her that I read David's blog from Australia. She got serious and said "You need to pray for him, his grandchild has a brain tumour and they have done chemo but it wasn't as effective as they hoped".

In his messages, he often talks about the pain he's gone through over the years as his wife, daughters, grandchildren have had cancer. In all honesty, I don't understand how someone who has gone through so much pain is able to bring so much hope to hurting people around him.

I woke up this morning before six from a dream that I am in hospital heartbroken because I am not pregnant. Dark mood has been hovering over me since I got out of bed. I got to work early and read my emails. Todays blog entry from David has this message:

"When Israel was captive in Babylon, mourning over the loss of homes and families, enduring grief and trouble, God sent word to them through Jeremiah: “For I know my thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not evil, to give you an expected end” (Jeremiah 29:11). God said to his people, “Your nightmare is going to end. I have only good, loving thoughts toward you, and if you seek me with all your heart, you will find me” (see Jeremiah 29:11-13)."

Jeremiah 29:11-13 has been popping up in my life many times lately. I accept it with my mind, I am just working on letting it seep into me so I accept it in my heart. But I can't imagine a more comforting message this morning.

No comments: