Saturday, June 23, 2012

Carpentry

In this blog I have already discussed the dangers of Pinterest - I see something there and think "wow, that looks amazing, I bet I could do that". It's fine when it's making simple things but this has escalated to a whole new level:

Source: hgtv.com via Alison on Pinterest

Becoming a house-owner has opened a whole new experience for me. I constantly have wheels turning  on how to decorate, what to do in the garden, how to improve the yard... the list goes on. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I have absolutely no idea what is what when it comes to woodworking and carpentry. I can sew, knot, crochet (I think I can, the reality might be completely different) but woodwork was always considered a man's job and I had no interest in it.

Not anymore. I am ready for this! Now, keep in mind that if anyone wanted to torture me, they would have to give me the job of assembling flatpacks from IKEA. I would rather go to the dentist than have to assemble flatpacks. But I think this will be very different.

So I have googled short courses and have found one through the TAFE and even sent through an enquiry. In my mind I have this romantic picture of Ags working with safety glasses and gloves, making this beautiful rustic coffee table and later graduating to a pergola like the one above and picture frames from repurposed wood and ... can you hear the music playing in the background? This picture is just perfect.

Let's see what happens. For now I feel like all this creative energy that was completely sucked up by my job for the last 4 years is slowly restoring. And now, instead of putting it in digital things, I am ready for working with my hands.


Source: houzz.com via Pam on Pinterest

No comments: