Sunday, November 10, 2013

My biggest fault is not taking the 'before' photos

I don't know if it's nesting or just part of growing up but this last year or two has taken me on a new journey - home decorating. I LOVE IT.

I am a little embarrassed to say it because like with graphic design, it seems like everyone nowadays is a graphic designer. But I think that my love for photography, design and interior styling are probably stemming from the same thing - my love for visual design.

Pinterest doesn't help. And I am grateful for it :)

After we had to sell our first home in a week and a friend (aunt) came over (who is REALLY good at this stuff) and sat in our living for 5 minutes, while I made coffee, and made a suggestion that absolutely changed the whole look (on a budget of ... $100!!!!!), I have been even more engrossed in it.

The tricky thing with me is that working part time, having a toddler and baby on the way with the next 12 months off, the budget is really tight. I still love to look at Fab, Temple and Webster and other uber cool sites but when it comes to it,  the brands I work with is Gumtree, Ebay, imagination and elbow grease. Forgot to mention my latest bin find (do I even dare to admit this on the internet?) - wicker chairs that are sitting on the deck, waiting for me not to be pregnant anymore so I can paint them and turn them into something awesome.

Of course that there have been projects that have turned into pinterest-gone-wrong but there are plenty more that make me really happy. And I have turned into a Gumtree and Ebay wiz - buying (and admittedly selling a percentage of stuff I've bought and realised won't work) and finding good pieces.

So here is to my new adventure and crush that has turned into love. And here is to my husband who patiently shakes his head when I bring home another large furniture object that looks ... dated but has the potential. And here is to the future because I would love to be able to work from home and combine my marketing skills, design love and maybe earn enough so I feel like I am able to spend time with my babies.


No comments: