Friday, April 07, 2006

The lessons I've learned about love

I have a friend who I was very close with years ago. Then I came to the States and somehow we parted our ways.

When I look back, I have to admit that I was not fair or nice to her on a couple of occasions. She has always deserved so much more. She's been there no matter what - not just for me but for my whole family. I don't know what happened - I think I got selfish and self-centered when I pushed her aside in my life and wasn't trying to hide the fact too much. I know I've hurt her in the past in some very mean ways.

She was at the airport when we arrived. She was there when we left. We also met for a lunch while we were in Riga. She showered us with love in her own way, made both of us feel so special. Wrapped little gifts in a baggy for us to open on the plane. I know she doesn't have a lot of money but I know she was so generous in trying to make us feel loved by the little things she got for us. So generous. Never held anything against me.

Besides the fact that she is an unbelievable person, I think she has practically showed me what it means to be a Christian - to love people who don't deserve it. Because I know that i don't deserve her love and friendship and because she was so generously showering me in it, I realized that that is what we, Christians miss so often. It's not about not drinking, or not sinning, or not this or that - it's is about loving people. Because the love that comes from God is supernatural, it penetrates through anger, through hurt, through situations that don't seem logically possible. That love speaks louder then any preaching or teaching, that love is what will outlast everything else.


I give everything I own to the poor
and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr
but I don't love,
I've gotten nowhere.
So, no matter what I say,
what I believe,
and what I do,
I'm bankrupt without love.

1 Corinthians 13:3

No comments: