Saturday, September 08, 2007

Australians call it Autumn

Friends keep mentioning Fall in their emails. Sounds like it is slowly making its way around the northern hemisphere. When I read back in this site, I have noticed that every year I have a post about Fall. I don't like Fall. Just like rain and dusk, it used to make me a little sad. It was the end of something fun and fresh and ahead was cold and gray and rainy.

The other day I noticed a sign in a flower shop window that said "We are getting ready for Spring". Getting used to the weather here is taking some time. I don't think I will ever have the Australian weather-mindset. It is supposed to be Fall that tastes like pumpkin and smells like cinnamon and sounds like a fireplace. Except for here we are getting ready for Spring with trees blooming and the weather getting warmer and more humid. Even though it has been warm, this was Winter.

People warn us about Summer like it's a disease. You have to be tough to endure the summer here. Apparently it comes with heat that burns bare feet on the cement and sand and heat that leaves even the most elegant with big pit stains. People tell us that you can stay in the ocean for hours and hours in the summer, it is warm and pleasant. I can't wait for it. We are moving down to the Gold Coast as soon as we get the Visa and we'll take full advantage of the Ocean within... 10-15 minutes. I can't wait for the big beaches and the heat that makes you want to dive into the salty waves. I can't wait for the flip flops and the summer dresses and tourists on the beaches. My entire life I have wanted to live in a warm place and finally I am here, I intend to enjoy it to the fullest!

1 comment:

yellowgirl said...

ah, lucky you. I never completely understood how fall can make you so sad, but I understand it a little, and i'm really happy that you're in your warm place. Me? I'm happy here. I read the "tastes like pumpkin and smells like cinnamon and sounds like a fireplace" and got happy little cozy warm sensations up my spine. Even though the end of summer makes me a little sad... it doesn't take me long to get into the cozy fall mode.. and to get REALLY excited about it. I can feel it starting. I've told myself I'm not allowed to decorate for it until after next weekend...