Saturday, October 29, 2011

49 days left

It's 10:39 am on Saturday and I am feeling exhausted. I woke up around 6:30 am, had a lovely little decaf coffee with extra sharp cheddar on multi-grain toast, read, took a nap, walked to the kitchen to pour a glass of water and now I am back in bed. Feeling like I've planted a field of potatoes or something of an equivalent.

There is a little boy, the size of a pineapple, inside my belly who wakes up from time to time to let me know he is not entirely happy with my sleeping position and kicks me in the ribs a few times to move. Or maybe he's just stretching out and flexing his muscles?

Now that we live much further from the city where we both work, we are gone for about 12 hours a day. When we get back, it's dinner, lunches for the next day and some tv. I think that's the most tiring part. I am grateful that I get a lift to and from work but sometimes I just want to lay on the couch and rest my big belly, take a little cat nap or read.

Overall, being eight and a half months pregnant is very bearable. I think I was expecting the worst, so the big belly, the heartburns, the planning that is involved in getting off the couch and the tiredness are bearable knowing that it's not long left now.

The most challenging thing for me is the gestational diabetes and checking the sugar two hours after every meal and NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT CAKE. I drool when I see photos of chocolate desserts. I watch people who are enjoying the world's best tiramisu and pretend I eat it while chewing on berries. I have told Neil that as a present after I give birth I want the biggest jar of Nutella. I have considered cutting out dessert recipes and requesting them from my mom-in-law as a treat after birth.

All I can say is that I feel beyond blessed that thing goes away after I give birth. My heart goes out to all diabetics who have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

So today I will take it easy and not leave this bed until I feel completely rested and happy. And I won't feel one bit guilty about it. 

No comments: