Monday, May 07, 2012

Gurglie wurglies

Becoming a parent changes so many things. "Never say never" become very real. For example, I used to think that I won't let my baby sleep in our bed as it can teach bad habits. But in the middle of the night, when it is cold in the room, I take him under our covers and cuddle him close to me to make sure he's warm (at least that's what I tell myself as a reason). That is just one thing that I thought I would or wouldn't do. There are so many examples like that. I think that what you learn most as a parent is flexibility and going with the flow - 'planning' becomes a fluid thing.

One of the things that I though I wouldn't do is the baby talk. While I don't think we do (although I can't guarantee because it's possible I do it without realising it). We have our own little invention of Daniel language. I have to credit Neil for this. For example, it's not 'poo', it's 'poo poos' and it's not 'belly', it's 'belly welly' and it's 'chilly willy' and so on. 

On top of this, one of the most hilarious things is Neil teaching Daniel Biology 101 001. He points to Daniel's mouth and then belly and says "At first it's slurpy wurpies, then it's gurgly wurglies, then it's farty warties, then it's poo poos". I had to giggle when I heard this first time.

Another thing I said I would never do is buy a van when children come. Thankfully we have not got it (but as I said earlier - never say never)...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I so know and understand. I still use the word 'bappy' for nappy as Levi when he was younger couldn't produce the 'n' sound. So bappy it is and we all understand it as a family. So whatever works - make your own family language I say!